Home > General, PlayStation3 > Got a PS3? Want Hulu Back? And you’re a Windows user?

Got a PS3? Want Hulu Back? And you’re a Windows user?

September 22nd, 2009

As a follow up to unblocking Hulu on the PS3, I’ve gotten tons of of responses. While that solution will successfully work in Windows, setting up squid on a Microsoft OS can be a painful task. Windows makes the simplest things incredibly difficult.

But squid was definitely designed for Linux, so that’s not incredibly surprising.

Thankfully, for the windows users out there, Jonathan Morales has this to contribute:

You can set this up in half the time using windows and an old program called proxomitron. You might want to post this for those who just want it to work easily:

step 1) Download proxomitron from http://www.proxomitron.info
step 2) open proxomitron and uncheck everything except the outgoing header filters
step 3) open outgoing header filters and uncheck them all, but find one of the user_agent ones and modify it as such:

1. change the header name to user-agent:firefox win32
  2. (optional) in the url match, put *.hulu.com – this will only activate the header if you go to that url
  3. header value match should be *
  4. change the value to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; en-US) Firefox/3.0.11
  5. make sure that the outgoing checkbox is checked but not the in

step 4) on the proxomitron main window go to config, click the access tab and set to allow connections from your local network e.g. 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255

step 5) go to file>save default settings, and then close and reopen proxomitron

step 6) On the ps3 network settings, set it to use a proxy server and point it to the ip address of your windows machine running proxomitron, port 8080.

Other comments:

it’s a good practice to set your ip address on the windows machine that runs proxomitron to be static, so that there’s no chance it’ll change and your ps3 starts pointing to an ip address that doesn’t exist or is assigned to another computer.

General, PlayStation3 , , ,

1. Jonathan G.
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:10 | #1

I alwaus get an error message when trying this. and in the connection test, internet connection always fails.

2. Jonathan G.
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 | #2

Jonathan G. :

I got it working, it was either windows 7 not actually closing the program when I told it to, or the June version causing the issue.

3. Chris
    September 24th, 2009 at 16:19 | #3

Great stuff i’m going to give this a try, one question does this work with a wireless lan?

4. Sean Bergstrom
    September 25th, 2009 at 01:33 | #4

I followed the instructions and still cannot play hulu….

5. October 27th, 2009 at 01:34 | #5

I am a mac user and have no pc’s in my house. I am wondering if there is any solution besides playon for the mac. My other option is I run ubuntu in a virtual machine on one of my macs, can I set something up in there?

6. Ben
    November 1st, 2009 at 15:49 | #6

I tried this as well without success. Static IP address, proxy on PS3, no can do.

7. November 1st, 2009 at 16:15 | #7

Sorry guys. I don’t know anything about Windows. This was contributed by a reader.

8. B
    November 4th, 2009 at 04:16 | #8

Mac users can use Squidman v2.5 for the mac (bundled version of Squid has been upgraded to 3.0 STABLE 16).

Use the Template tab to edit the squid configuration file. Alternatively you could edit it directly ~/Library/Preferences/squid.conf.

*** IMPORTANT ***
    Use reply_header_access instead of header_access:

reply_header_access User-Agent deny hulu

Double check your work by pointing your PS3′s browser to sites like http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ or http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html

FYI – header_replace appears to work without any issues. Good luck.

9. Arthur
    November 5th, 2009 at 14:03 | #9

I got this to work fine on Win XP.

One thing I noted was that step 4 wasn’t appropriate for my router’s default setting.
    The instructions say : 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255
    but what was appropriate for my router settings were : 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255

Of course the instructions tell you to customize appropriate to your network, but some less tech savvy people may not know this.

Also it may not be obvious to some, but you must run proximitron on your PC in order for this to work. It does run in the background and sits in your system tray, so you may want to put it in your startup folder so it comes up every time after you re-boot.

10. November 10th, 2009 at 16:23 | #10

Awesome info I was trying this one part about the
    freaking squid .config thingy took me 8hours and
    got I got stuck on converting it to notepad and editz
    Rofl! AMA give this a shot when my son take a nap
    he’s got my ps3 atm. thanks a bunch men ; )

11. Andy
    November 10th, 2009 at 17:44 | #11

This works great for me, and you can also make this proxy work for youtube videos, just add a pipe in the URL Match field:

*.hulu.com|*.youtube.com

The only thing bad is the PS3 browser is not quite responsive, and slow…and I’m stuck with low res videos, it cannot handle 480p hulu videos that well. Can’t complain much cuz it’s free!

12. November 10th, 2009 at 18:55 | #12

It seems that im having trouble about the ps3 part
    my windows system is all set, but when i went to my ps3 to set up the exact
    same ip address on my ps3 got an error and I check back to my
    desktop I’m getting this alert about IP Adress conflict
    with anoter system on my network…
    Could you please break it down for more info
    on your last paragraph in other comments .. How to fix my ps3 ip on windows running proxo… Sorry for my english I hope you
    know what I’m talking about rofl!

13. November 10th, 2009 at 20:31 | #13

Yo Andy how did you get proxo to work on ps3? I mean how’s your ip settings
    on desktop, router, and ps3?

14. Andy
    November 11th, 2009 at 20:42 | #14

Rick,
    I have to make a few assumptions since I do not know your network. Let’s say you have a dsl/cable modem router, and its IP address is 192.168.0.1 (The zero in the IP address is what we called the third octet and we will call this the “0″ network). I’ll assume subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or a /24 network. Your PC will have a different IP address, let’s assume it’s 192.168.0.10 (it’s important we make this a static IP). Your PS3 will need a different IP address, lets say it’s 192.168.0.20). On Proxo, you will need to “open” the network for access, so set the range range to be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254. Then on your PS3, change the proxy server to 192.168.0.10 (your pc IS your proxy server now) and port to be 8080. I made all these settings based on assumptions on your network. Also, if the third octet is different in your network, make all the changes in ALL IP address setting above to reflect your network (for example, from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.1.10 if you have a “1″ network instead of a “0″ network)

15. Jaak
    November 16th, 2009 at 20:33 | #15

Thanks all for the great help and troubleshooting. I got Hulu to work, but I cant seem to play any video. I get an error message on Hulu saying “Unfortunately, this video is not availalbe on your platform.”

Anyone else see this? Anyone know how to get around this one?

16. D.J.
    November 16th, 2009 at 20:49 | #16

I got Proxo set up as per the instruction above, (except my IP address is 192.168.1.100, therefore in Proxo, I put the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255) however, when I set up my PS3 to use the proxy server, in the last step it performs the internet connection test. It gets the IP Address successfully, but the Internet Connection fails. I have Verizon FIOS and go through their supplied router…not sure if that matters. Any thoughts? P.S. I’m pretty low level, so please dumb it down for me if you respond. Thanks ;-)

17. Stuart
    November 22nd, 2009 at 12:54 | #17

I was reluctant to use proxomitron, however Squid wasn’t working on my computer because I have everything installed to the D: drive rather than the C: drive.

As as a last resort I checked out proxomitron and got it working. I encourage everyone to read through the entire instructions as they are written in sort of a weird order, but if you read through them then they should make sense.

Thanks,
    Stuart

18. Albinotrout
    November 30th, 2009 at 15:02 | #18

didn’t work for me. Got the PS3 to connect via the proxy, but hulu still seems to know I’m cheating and they keep blocking the videos. Thoughts?

19. Jeff
    December 18th, 2009 at 06:43 | #19

for those of you who have troubles with the ps3 internet connection test failing… make sure you do as step 5 instructs and shut down the proxy server after the default settings have been saved and then start it back up. details, details.

20. Rick2
    December 18th, 2009 at 19:39 | #20

Great instructions! It worked perfectly. As Jeff said, make sure to completely close Proxomitron and then reopen. Also, make sure your firewall has an exception for the Proxomitron application. Good luck!

21. bob_knob
    December 18th, 2009 at 21:12 | #21

worked just fine. My ps3 did have an freeze once when accessing hulu, but after powering off and on and navigating back to hulu it has worked without issue.

22. MochaShaka
    December 19th, 2009 at 19:56 | #22

So how do you do this using Proximodo? I ask because Promimodo is a newer version of Proxomitron, and it has features that I need that Proxomitron doesn’t. I tried to figure it out myself, but haven’t been successful.

23. MochaShaka
    December 19th, 2009 at 19:57 | #23

by the way, great instructions.

24. Dave
    December 26th, 2009 at 23:30 | #24

This worked great. I’m running a Windows 2003 VM on my mac-mini (via VMWare Fusion). Once I setup proxo, I allowed TCP/8080 on the FW of my VM. I then entered the proxy information into my PS3 and voila! Moral of the story, don’t forget to open incoming port TCP/8080 if you have an active firewall on your Windows machine.

25. problazer
    January 1st, 2010 at 23:10 | #25

FYI you can also use Privoxy with a few simple configuration changes.

26. Talon
    January 8th, 2010 at 23:29 | #26

Thanks for the instructions, but as i saw on the other thread, FLASH now needs to be updated on the PS3 to get it to work with hulu.

I’m not getting the same error as before, but now it reads:

I’m fairly confident that after flash is updated on the ps3, this will work fine!

Thanks for the tutorial!!!

27. Talontd
    January 8th, 2010 at 23:29 | #27

I’m not getting the same error as before, but now it reads:

Thanks for the tutorial!!!

28. Anonymous
    January 23rd, 2010 at 20:38 | #28

@Talon
    I too tried this and got past Hulu’s initial block but after the video loads I get “You are trying to install Adobe Flash Player on an unsupported operating system. For system requirements please visit….”

Did Hulu change something or is my configuration wrong?

29. Jennifer
    February 2nd, 2010 at 17:57 | #29

I notice all this info says ‘firefox’ and I do not ahve firefox… will these instructions work with IE8?

30. Arrion
    February 3rd, 2010 at 04:18 | #30

Yeah, I got everything to work But still no Hulu Sony Isn’t going to ever update there flash i dont think Either that or its made to be like that I still cant get Hulu to work what a pain in the ass F**** you HULU

31. Jamison
    March 9th, 2010 at 22:32 | #31

I’m really frustrated. I used the workaround for my PS3 with proxomitron and got to the Hulu website but now I’m getting the message, ‘This video is not available on your platform’. Obviously Hulu is on to the workaround. Is there a workaround for the ‘workaround’?

Thanks!

32. March 9th, 2010 at 22:34 | #32

@Jamison

It doesn’t matter. Even if you got it the proxy to work, you’d just get an error message that you need a new version of flash. This doesn’t work anymore.

33. Jamison
    March 10th, 2010 at 13:36 | #33

Thanks for the info. I’ve also tried to stream Hulu on the Nintendo Wii with similar success. Has Hulu blocked the Wii as well?

34. Mia
    March 14th, 2010 at 13:42 | #34

@B

Can you provide detailed info on transposing this info for SquidMan 2.5? I tried installing Squid via Terminal then saw your post. Much easier, if I can figure out exactly what I need to change.

Thanks in advance!

35. Mocte
    March 25th, 2010 at 14:00 | #35

hey man, how the hell did you get this working?? what do i have to write on the template section. i have no idea about internet protocols or anything like this. any help would come handy.

cheers
    @B

36. dre
    May 30th, 2010 at 17:07 | #36

my error says unable to play check internet connection, is that because i didnt do the static ip address part?

37. Jason
    June 9th, 2010 at 02:05 | #37

Not working.
    I restarted and everything. I tested my user-agent string on a site on my PS3 and it still came up with the PlayStation 3 one.

38. Jason
    June 9th, 2010 at 02:16 | #38

EDIT: Got it working.
    Turns out it was the *.hulu.com part.

Testing your user-agent on another site will be treated as the PS3 browser with that selective filter, only trying to fool Hulu into it and nothing else, so when I tried http://whatsmyuseragent.com/, it wasn’t under the filter.

Tyvm for this. Now time to make a new Hulu account since I forgot the old one.

39. Jason
    June 9th, 2010 at 02:38 | #39

Hate for the three comments, but it seems Hulu just doesn’t work on PS3 now.

Oddly enough, it did the same stuff with my old connection WITHOUT Proximitron. Just loading the video indefinitely.

Could Hulu have unblocked PS3?

Regardly, I suppose we’re waiting for a Flash update now.

40. Jason
    June 9th, 2010 at 02:42 | #40

Okay, not indefinitely, it says “Sorry, we are unable to load the player, please check your internet connection and try again”.

Well, thanks anyway, Eric/Igor/whoever posted this.

41. Huluuuuu
    June 19th, 2010 at 11:42 | #41

@Jason
    I have also setup proxomitron correctly and get the Sorry, we are unable to load the player message. I did update the PS3 with the latest software last night to no avail. SUX.

42. Ash
    July 23rd, 2010 at 01:36 | #42

FOR THOSE ON WIN 7 & VISTA
    This works great on the latest firmware and everything. So, you need to run Prox at an Administrator, you also need to save the config file in a new location the first time and copy over manually to set read right on it correctly. You need to allow prox in Windows firewall, if you use it.

43. Kermonk
    October 11th, 2010 at 14:53 | #43

“On the ps3 network settings, set it to use a proxy server and point it to the ip address of your windows machine running proxomitron, port 8080.”

And how do you do that??? That’s the most difficult thing of all!

44. Jeff
    October 14th, 2010 at 15:09 | #44

Hey i figured out why mine wasnt working, when the step says

make sure you do not include your actual router’s IP address… start with one above that. I did that and it worked fine.

1. No trackbacks yet.