Patch for the VastHTML WordPress Forum Server
So, I’ve made a number of fixes to the VastHTML WordPress forum server plugin. It has some pretty big bugs, and I don’t know if the project is being maintained anymore or not. At any rate, the fixes I’ve made should have been considered critical and should have been fixed long ago by whoever is maintaining it, but I digress…
I’m not going to support people trying to apply this patch. If you don’t know what a diff is and you don’t know what the patch command does, you’re probably out of luck. If you want me to fix all of the problems in this code and release it, pay me a bunch of money…
Also, the security problems in their code makes babies cry… but that’s for another day.
Lastly, to make the search actually work, you need to connect to your wordpress mysql database and issue this SQL statement:
alter table wp_forum_posts add fulltext key `text` (`text`);
Here's the patch: vasthtml-forum-server.diff
Here's what it fixes (in no particular order):
- RSS feeds now contain the username of the poster instead of "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- All & characters in the links have been properly changed to & as they should be
- Page 2+ of your forums will work
- Page 2+ of posts will work
- The number of replies shown in the topic list is properly set to number of posts - 1
- The title delimeter is changed from » to "|" (don't remember why i did this, but there ya go)
- The search form/box uses HTTP GET instead of POST so your back button works without complaining about having to resubmit your request
- You can press enter in the search box to submit
- A $ followed by a number doesn't get filtered out
- Apostrophes in posts/titles get their slashes properly stripped
I may have fixed other things in this patch and forgot about it. This works for me... your mileage may vary.