Solaris 8 with OpenLDAP: Overview
Configuring Solaris8 with OpenLDAPWARNING: This information is old (and probably outdated). You shouldn't be using Solaris 8 or OpenLDAP 2.0.ANYTHING. Solaris 10 has zones, dtrace, and ZFS. How anyone can live without ZFS is beyond me. This is here for reference/historical purposes only.
What you need:
- OpenLDAP 2.0.8 (Other versions above 2.0.8 may work)
Versions of OpenLDAP earlier than 2.0.8 contain a memory
leak which appears to only be visible under Solaris8.
There was no official OpenLDAP Bug ID reported, however,
this problem was corrected as of version 2.0.8.
- A patch for OpenLDAP for RootDSE lookup information
- A basic understanding of LDAP
- The slapadd program adds directly to the LDAP backend database. Changes made with slapadd are NOT replicated. To add entries and assure they are replicated, use the ldapadd program instead.
- ldap_cachemgr has bugs. If it's running before you start this process, you should kill it immediately.
- It is questionable that Solaris 8's implementation of LDAP is ready for production. Given Sun's optimal scenario and using all of their defaults, you should have good luck. Try to customize your LDAP configuration, and you may run into problems.
- "Of course it's hard! It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!" - A League of Their Own
- Solaris with OpenLDAP for Naming/Auth
- Sun Blueprints Solaris and LDAP Naming Services
Deploying LDAP in the Enterprise, Tom Bilaski, Michael Haines
Sun Microsystems Press - A Prentice Hall Title
- OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, SASL and KerberosV HOWTO
- Secure LDAP for Solaris
- docs.sun.com: LDAP Setup and Configuration Guide